LEARN MORE
LEARN MORE

2017 Roundup: Knowledge Sharing Trends

January 9, 2018
Written by Rachel Alexander

2017 was a whirlwind of a year filled with highs, lows, advancements in technology, and exciting trends, like virtual reality and artificial intelligence seeping into every aspect of our life.

We also saw a lot of exciting things happen within knowledge sharing. To give you an idea, here is our 2017 roundup of the top four knowledge sharing trends.

 

Knowledge Sharing Has a More Strategic Role

 

The workforce is shifting. Baby boomers are retiring and organizations are starting to realize that all the knowledge baby boomers accumulated over the course of their careers will disappear if they don’t do something about it. This is shifting the focus of how organizations view knowledge sharing. It’s moving beyond the tactical storage of information and becoming more strategic.  What do we do with our knowledge? Who do we transfer knowledge to? How is our knowledge going to help us create a strategic advantage? Building out knowledge sharing strategies will start to become a crucial part of an organization’s overall growth strategy, as more companies realize the potential impact.

 

Effective Knowledge Sharing Goes Beyond Just One Department

 

Gone are the days that you only engage and collaborate within your department. For organizations to thrive, departments must work together, and often. 2017 showed that effective knowledge sharing goes beyond sharing knowledge within your department. Different teams have to work together. And when they do, they are able to eliminate information silos and hierarchies. By breaking down walls, organizations can expect increases in productivity, cross-departmental alignment, and most importantly, improvement in the customer experience because teams are all on the same page.

 

Companies Are Starting to Incorporate “Knowledge Manager” into Job Titles

 

While some might say job titles are ambiguous, there were a few emerging titles that popped up over the course of 2017 containing some variation of “knowledge manager.” What makes this role unique is that it doesn’t necessarily fall into one specific department. Some organizations might place it under Marketing, sometimes under IT. However, the one constant, regardless of the department, is the responsibilities of the person appointed. As the gatekeeper for company knowledge, they are responsible for formulating the strategy for how their organization shares knowledge, as well as ensuring that knowledge is accessible, up to date, and flows seamlessly across departments who need access.

 

Importance of Customer Insights

 

While customer centricity is not a new topic, organizations are still struggling to incorporate research and insights driven by Customer insights teams into the strategic company decisions.  In 2017, we’ve seen an increase in the pressure placed on these teams to have a greater impact on the business. In fact, Forrester Research reports that only 49% of business decisions are made using quantitative information and analysis. The other 51% is made from subjective factors. To meet these needs, customer insight teams are looking for a more efficient way to store and consolidate research and make it easily accessible both inside and outside their insights team. An effective knowledge sharing strategy gives teams across the company access to key research and insights, thus creating greater alignment and collaboration across departments. As a result, insights teams can have that strategic voice they’ve been yearning for and help drive change.

Now that 2018 is in full force, it will be exciting to see what new knowledge sharing trends pop-up, and we will make sure to keep you posted.

Harness The Power Of Knowledge Sharing With Digital Transformation

Companies that grasp what the digital workplace is really all about are willing to change the ways people and applications connect across their organizations. By fostering a digitally driven culture of collaboration, they break down silos, share knowledge more effectively, and compete more successfully.

Download Now
Comments

Search



SEE BLOOMFIRE IN ACTION

RELATED CONTENT